I often have the opportunity to talk to people either in VP Sales or VP Marketing and the comment is the same.
“ We tried Lead Generation. It didn’t work.”
When I ask them to explain the effort, I can always easily identify a key missing step that prevents them from producing a truly Qualified Lead.
To produce a truly Qualified Lead you need to:
- Clearly identify your target audience including vertical, employee count and revenue to make sure they reach your sweet spot — so that once the door is open — you have a real chance of closing
- Obtain the Decision Maker name and title. If you are not able to get the exact title you were looking for, try to obtain the name of a Key Influencer
- Send interesting direct mail — hopefully 3D
- Follow up within a week at the most
- Make your conversation friendly and direct. Give them a good reason to want to meet with you by clearly outlining pain points they may have — that YOU can solve
There is nothing worse that giving your Sales Team a ‘lead’…that is really just a name and number — with no true connection.
By following the above steps — your lead will clearly have a date and time for the meeting and the Prospective Client will have true interest and awareness around your product and service offerings.